The Association of Newfoundland and Labrador Archives
presents a two-day workshop about
Modern Information Carriers and Digital Preservation
This workshop has been developed and subsidized by the Canadian Conservation Institute
Dates: June 20 – 21, 2018 (9 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.) Location: TBA (St. John’s)
Instructors: Joe Iraci, Ern Bieman
Location: to be confirmed
This workshop discusses preservation of physical carriers and best practices for preserving digital information. Topics covered include the structure, composition and format of various types of modern information recording media. Deterioration, longevity and appropriate storage and handling recommendations are discussed. Also covered are tools for taking stock of existing digital assets and for developing digital preservation policies, plans and procedures. Software and hardware solutions for digital preservation in small to medium-sized heritage institutions are also recommended.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- identify and explain differences in structure, composition and format of various types of recording media;
- identify the main deterioration problems and understand their effects on media;
- understand factors affecting longevity and choose media for maximum lifespan;
- implement proper handling and storage procedures for various media;
- systematically approach the task of preserving modern information carriers;
- identify digital assets in their institution and assess risk and impacts of losing access to these;
- develop a digital preservation policy, plan and procedures; and
- install and use hardware and software for the purpose of preserving digital assets in smaller heritage institutions.
For more specific details about this workshop see https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/workshops-conferences/regional-workshops-conservation/modern-information-carriers-digital-preservation.html
Fees: Members: $75
Registration deadline: Participants must register for this course by June 1, 2018.
Some financial assistance for transportation costs is available for members: please contact the ANLA office for more information.